September-October Game Commentary

Bucs Win in Shoot-out

Des Moines, IA (10.28.00): In what appeared to be a re-play of last nights game, the Bucs built a 2-0 lead before Green Bay tied the game up early in the third period. The second goal, by Stefan Bjurstrom, was his first as a Buccaneer. Like last night, the Bucs scored what appeared to be the winning goal with less than four minutes remaining in the game. Unfortunately, that is where the similarity ended as Green Bay fought back to tie the game and send it into overtime.

In the overtime, both teams played hard but were tired and were unable to score. In the following shoot-out, Mark Langdon, Dave Klema and Doug Meyer picked up goals to outscore the Gamblers 3-1 and take the 4-3 victory. The win gave the Bucs a sweep on the weekend over two top-ranked USHL teams.

Nelson (Bjurstrom, Chiodo), Bjurstrom (Tomaino, Campbell) and Gauthier (Chiodo, Klema) scored in regulation play. Langdon, Klema and Meyer scored in the shoot-out. Mantua was in goal.

Team Score Scoring Shots PIM Powerplays Winning Goalie (Saves-Shots)
DES MOINES 4 (SO) 0-1-2-1 - - - Mantua (21-24)
Green Bay 3 0-0-3-0 - - - Penko (24-27)
DES MOINES: Bjurstrom (G,A,PP), Gauthier (G), Nelson (G)
GREEN BAY: Johnson (G,A), Baraniuk (G), Michael (G)
Attendance: 2,452

Bucs Hand SF Second Loss

Des Moines, IA (10.27.00): Sioux Falls came into town with only one loss and were looking to add another win with their high-scoring offense.

The Stampede had their chance early in the game as the Bucs faced s full two mintute powerplay down 2 men. Mike Mantua and the Buc defense hung tough and did not allow a goal. In fact, through the rest of the game the Bucs stopped 12 of 13 powerplays.

The Bucs jumped to a 2-0 lead midway through the second period on a slap shot from Joe Campbell and a tough angle shot from Doug Meyer. The Stampede fought back, but the wining goal came with 4 minutes remaining on a tip-in by Ryan Kirchhoff (made possible by one sweet pass by newcomer Stefan Bjurstrom). The Bucs had won 3-2.

Campbell (PP) (Nelson, Tomaino), Meyer (Klema) and Kirchhoff (Bjurstom) scored for the Bucs. Mantua was in goal.

DES MOINES 3 1-1-1 - - - Mantua (38-40)
Sioux Falls 2 0-1-1 - - - Sikich (30-33)
DES MOINES: Kirchhoff (GW), Meyer (G), Campbell (G,PP)
SIOUX FALLS: Corey (G), Mattie (G,PP)
Attendance: 2,336

Bucs Blasted by Cedar Rapids

Cedar Rapids, IA (10.21.00): It was one of those nights when nothing went the Bucs way. It wasn't that they played that bad - or even that Cedar Rapids was that good. It was just one of those nights. How bad was it? The Bucs lost 9- 3.

A bright spot for the night was the play of Rene Gauthier (who had two goals) and Mike Brolsma. Both players seemed to be playing one of their better games of the year. The Bucs will need to shake this one off and get ready for next weeks games against league leaders Sioux Falls and Green Bay.

Gauthier (unassisted), Meyer (Bjurstrom, Bennett) and Gauthier (Brolsma, Nelson) scored for the Bucs. Mantua and Dowers were in goal for the Bucs.

CEDAR RAPIDS 9 4-2-3 - - - Kelly (31-34)
Des Moines 3 1-0-2 - - - Mantua (19-25)
CEDAR RAPIDS: Vinz (HAT TRICK,GW,A), Carlson (G,3A), Patton (G,2A,PP),Hickey (G,2A), Holmgren (2G,PP), Moss (G)
DES MOINES: Gauthier (2G), Meyer (G)
Attendance: 4,223

Hat Trick For Bennett

Des Moines, IA (10.20.00): Ryan Bennett opened the scoring for the Bucs, then followed up with two power play goals to notch a hat trick in a 7-2 Buc victory over Rochester.

After trailing 1-0 at the end of the first period, Ryan Bennett took a great pass from Doug Meyer on a 2 on 1 break to tie the game just a minute and a half into the second period. The Bucs then opened up a 4-1 lead before ending the second period with a 5-2 lead. In the third period, the Buc defense held Rochester to just two shots on goal, while the Buc offense got two power play goals.

Bennett (Meyer, Klema), Kirchhoff (unassisted), Bennett (PP) (Meyer), Tomaino (PP) (Klema), Meyer (Klema), Bennett (PP) (Meyer, Klema) and Flaig (PP) (Langdon, Jernberg) scored for the Bucs. Paul Morrissey was in goal for the Bucs.

DES MOINES 7 0-5-2 - - - Morrissey (14-16)
Rochester 2 1-1-0 - - - Kehler (21-28)
DES MOINES: Bennett (HAT TRICK,GW,2PP), Meyer (G,3A), Klema (4A), Tomaino (G,PP), Flaig (G,PP), Kirchhoff (G)
ROCHESTER: Hennum (G), Dardis (G)
Attendance: 3,212

Bucs Split Exhibition Games

Monroe, MI (10.13.00): In an exhibition game filled with over 140 minutes of penalties, the USA Under 18 team scored 4 powerplay goals and a short-hander, while Des Moines notched 2 powerplay goals. Both teams had 10 powerplay opportunities. The Buccaneers took an early one goal lead on a tough angle shot by Doug Meyer, but were unable to answer three goals by USA .

Meyer (PP) (Bennet, Campbell) and Tomaino (PP) (Baumgartner, Flaig) scored for the Bucs. Mantua was in goal.

US NATIONAL 5 1-3-1 - - - Weber (18-19)
Des Moines 2 1-1-0 - - - Mantua (32-37)
US NATIONAL: Whitney (HAT TRICK,GW,A,3PP), Miller (G,A,PP), Crabb (G,SH),Helminen (3A)
DES MOINES: Tomaino (G,PP), Bennett (G,PP)
Attendance: 210

Monroe, MI ( 10.14.00): On Saturday night the Buccaneers were able to pull off a 5-3 victory. Paul Morrissey played extremely well in the nets with several key saves. Scoring for the Buccaneers were Mark Langdon, Arne Martensson, Paul Baumgartner, Doug Meyer with the game winner, and Ryan Bennett added an empty netter.

More news from the weekend...

The Buccaneers traveled this past weekend to play a two game road series against the USA Under-18 team in suburban Detroit and came away with a split. While the games were intense and the team was disappointed with the results they will remember the road trip for years to come for other reasons.

The team left Thursday afternoon and stopped to Chicago to see the Blackhawks play the Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings came away with a 4-0 victory but the game was very evenly matched for the final two periods. It was good for the guys to see how well the professionals moved the puck and the intensity level in person rather than on TV.

After the game the Bucs jumped back on the bus and drove to South Bend, Indiana where they spent the night at a Best Inn. In the morning the team practiced at the University of Notre Dame where Head Coach Tom Carroll was the top assistant for 14 years and Assistant Coach Craig Hagkull played for 4 years. The guys were given another treat when Assistant Athletic Director Tom Nevela (A good friend of TC's) gave the team a tour of the football stadium and lockerroom. The sheer size of the lockerroom was a huge surprise to some of the guys and several of the players were able to walk down the steps and slap the "Play like a Champion today" sign. After the lockerroom the guys were taken over to the weight room to see one of the most impressive strength facilities in the country. After that it was on to the game in Monroe, MI.

On Saturday morning the team was given another treat and one that undoubtedly was the highlight of the trip for most. The team boarded the bus and drove to downtown Detroit to see the Red Wings practice at Joe Louis Arena. Most of the players mouth's dropped open when the most successful coach in NHL history Scotty Bowman looked up in the crowd and summoned TC down to the bench. Coach Bowman and TC have known each other for several years. After talking to Coach Bowman TC also spent time with Chris Chelios who he played with at the University of Wisconsin. About 10 minutes after practice was done the team was informed that they could come into the lockerroom where they were able to see some of the NHL stars up and Coach Bowman up close. Sergei Fedorov spent time with some of the guys as did Steve Yzerman, Aaron Ward, and Nicholas Lidstrom. Both Markus Forsberg and Arne Martensson received the thrill of their lives when they 10 minutes talking to countryman Lidstrom in Swedish. The guys also noticed just how hard the NHL players work off the ice. Nearly every player was either on a bike, running on a treadmill, or lifting weights. It really made an impression on the guys.

So all in all it definitely was not your average road trip, and the players really came together as a team. The guys and coaching staff will remember it for years to come.

Sarah's Rant

Sarah's Rant,10.12.00: Unfortunately life always has to change, that's probably one of the biggest gripes I have ever had. But I don't think I had the notion that the time or love of writing for the website would ever dwindle. What once was a passion has now become one more responsibility. My real job has come before my passion, or perhaps it's just that my passion has become my work. Which for anyone who doesn't already know is web design. That's not to say that I won't still write when I can, because even now I feel guilty for not having written anything yet, but at the same time nobody has emailed me to complain about the lack of rants, so I can only guess that maybe it isn't anything very important...

Hey, who needs a game commentary when they can now listen to the game over the internet now? This will give me a chance to get away from the commentary style and try something new. I still love hockey as much as I ever did and always will. It is, in my humble opinion, the only sport worth watching...

I have to recount the tale of my misfortune with a puck, since I had special requests to tell about it. During the Buc Bowl I was hit in the head with a puck, I was in it's path and it did not care about me. As I sat on the orange seat, with warm blood dripping through my fingers and from the ends of my hair, I think I went into a sort of shock at what had happened. There was so much blood, and even though I knew head wounds bleed a lot...all I could think about, was that there was so very much blood. It was dripping down the back of my chair, on my sweater, on my jeans, and my hand that uselessly held my head was covered.

I wasn't cold, yet I shook and I could feel the chill. The medic took me to a side room where a police officer held my head and they attempted to find the wound. With the amount of blood and not to mention the amount of hair I have, they had a hard time of it. I had to go and get five staples shot into my head before I could come back for the game.

Think the staples wouldn't hurt?

I could feel every single one of them going into my head, metal prick by metal prick...and it hurt. A stapler will never look the same to me again. The novelty of the head wound wore off by the end of the game when all I wanted was to go to bed. That same wound was very old by the end of the week when my headache hadn't stopped....

John Searles and Sieveman have both declared I should wear a suit of armor to the games from here on out. I'll make that decision when another puck hits me.

We were beat out by Lincoln during that Buc Bowl, who by the way is predicted to be the top team by Grimm. I might add his predictions are almost scarey in their accuracy. So far in the last two weekends of the season the play has been better then average. I prefer not to make anymore of that remark then I have to. I have been impressed in some areas, and blasé in others. The only real team that has made mincemeat of us is ignoble Lincoln. I am beginning to think I have to share the opinions of my relatives, diehard Lancer fans, concerning that team. And that's all I have to say about that...

This past weekend we played Omaha, and it was something of a bloodbath. We won, but it was a hard fought game by both teams. Enjoyable, intense, out of control. It had both coaches giving the referee a mouthful on the complexities and lack of enforcement during the game play. A few injuries and fights and we had won the game... and in the end, that's all that really counts, right?

On Sunday we went on to tie Sioux City, on their rather cramped ice surface, and lose in a shoot-out. Disappointing, but we at least get a point out of it. It was the first time that Morrissey had been in goal for the season.

Coming up for this weekend we have two exhibition games in Michigan against Team USA. It gives us and the team a break from regular season action. With the steady pace of games so far in the early stages of the season it will be nice to have a break for one weekend. However I find I am eager to get back to the arena for a game, it does get addicting.

This'll have to be all for now folks, if you have questions or concerns email me. I'm always happy to talk hockey. Or if you have suggestions for my "new style" I'm at your disposal, even if I don't always agree...

Until next time, peace and sanity... and watch out for those flying pucks!

Shoot-out in Sioux City

Sioux City, IA (10.8.00): The Buccaneers battled back from a two goal defecit to tie the game late in the second period. Meyer scored the apparent winning goal with just four minutes left in the third. However, Sioux City tied it at 3-3 with just one minute to go in the game. Playing 4 on 4 under new USHL rules, neither team scored in the overtime period. The Bucs fell in the shoot-out, 3-2.

Bennett (Meyer, Baumgartner), Flaig (Chiodo) and Meyer (Bennett) scored for the Bucs in regulation play. Flaig and Meyer scored in the shoot-out. Morrissey was in goal and made 22 saves.

SIOUX CITY 4 (SO) 0-2-1-1 - - - Beauvais (25-28)
Des Moines 3 0-2-1-0 - - - Morrissey (20-23)
SIOUX CITY: Polaski (G,A,PP), Knutson (G), Kerr (G,PP)
DES MOINES: Meyer (G,A), Tudor (G,A), Flaig (G)
Attendance: 1,285

Mantua Holds Off Omaha

Des Moines, IA (10.7.00): *Veteran goaltender Mike Mantua faced 17 third period shots to clinch a 3-2 victory over the Omaha Lancers. Mike Mantua literally stood on his head to hold off the onslaught of the Lancers.

The Bucs took a two goal lead in the first period off a powerplay goal from David Klema and an unassisted breakaway by Andy Nelson. The Lancers battled back to tie the game early in the second period, and it wasn't until their were 6 minutes left in the period that David Klema put the Bucs ahead for good. For Klema, it was his second goal of the night, both on powerplays.

Klema (PP) (Jernberg, Meyer), Nelson (unassisted), and Klema (PP), (Bennett, Jernberg) scored for the Bucs. Mantua was in goal and made 38 saves.

DES MOINES 3 2-1-0 - - - Mantua (37-39)
Omaha 2 1-1-0 - - - Fraser (27-30)
DES MOINES: Klema (2G,GW,2PP), Nelson (G)
OMAHA: Welch (2G,PP)
Attendance: 3,411

Bucs Take Tri-City 4-1

Des Moines, IA (9.30.00): The Bucs racked up three goals in the last 6 minutes to put away the Tr--City Storm, 4-1. Like last night against Lincoln, the score does not represent how close the game really was. Tonight, it was the Bucs turn to get the breaks.

Both teams were battling away and coming up just short of the red light. Shots went just inches wide and when it was on net, both goalies were there for the save. Going into the third period, the Bucs held on to a 1-0 lead which did not last long. With 6 minutes left, Doug Meyer gave the Bucs a 2-1 lead on a blast from the blue line. Mark Langdon electrified the crowd with a goal on a breakaway to make it 3-1. Meyer added one last goal on an empty-net with 14 seconds remaining.

Langdon (Chiodo, Brolsma), Meyer (Klema), Langdon (Brolsma) and Meyer (EN) (Unassisted) scored for the Bucs. Mike Mantua made 32 saves.

DES MOINES 4 0-1-3 - - - Mantua (32-33)
Tri-City 1 0-0-1 - - - Zaniboni (28-31)
DES MOINES: Meyer (2G,GW), Langdon (2G)
TRI-CITY: Swon (G)
Attendance: 2,600

Bucs Fall To Stars

Des Moines, IA (9.29.00): The Buccaneers suffered their first loss of the season to the Lincoln Stars by a score of 5-2. The Bucs had a goal waived off just a minute and a half into the game, but the Bucs continued to play well, taking a 1-0 lead with one minute left in the period. Lincoln came back, scoring the next two goals to take a 2-1 lead. The Bucs tied it at 2-2 and the second period was over.

Coach Carroll said the Bucs seemed to lose their focus in the third period and the Stars took advantage of the opportunity, scoring the last goal in an empty-net.

Bennett (Meyer, Irwin) and Meyer (Klema, Bennett) scored for the Bucs. Mike Mantua made 32 saves.

Lincoln 5 0-2-3 - - - Brandt (28-30)
DES MOINES 2 1-1-0 - - - Mantua (32-36)
LINCOLN: Magnusen (2G,GW), Fournier (2G,2PP), Wavra (G,A)
DES MOINES: Meyer (G,A), Bennett (G,A)
Attendance: 2,800

Team Effort Key In 7-1 Win

Des Moines, IA (9.23.00): Coach Carroll credited a total team effort in a convincing 7-1 over the US National Team Saturday night. Eleven players picked up points and Mantua was solid in net stopping 29 shots.

The Buccaneers opened the scoring on two powerplays to take a 2-1 first period lead, and added a third to take a 3-1 lead at the end of the second. With just two minutes gone in the third, the Bucs scored three goals within two minutes to take a commanding 6-1 lead. David Klema ended the scoring with a powerplay with 3:07 left to play.

Bennett (PP) (Martensson, Jernberg), Forsberg (PP) (Bennett), Langdon (PP) (Unassisted), Flaig (Langdon, Hennum), Kirchhoff (Tudor) and Klema (PP) (Martensson, Tomaino) scored for the Bucs.

DES MOINES 7 2-1-4 - - - Mantua (29-30)
US National 1 1-0-0 - - - Weber (15-22)
DES MOINES: Bennett (G,A,PP), Forsberg (GW,PP), Langdon (G,A,PP), Klema (G,PP), Campbell (G), Flaig (G), Kirchoff (G)
US NATIONAL: McConnell (G,PP)
Attendance: 2,700

Mantua Blanks Waterloo

Des Moines, IA (9.22.00): Veteran netminder Mike Mantua picked up a 4-0 shutout against Waterloo in the regular season home opener. Mike turned away 21 shots to claim his second shutout as a Buccaneer. The other shutout came on April 13 against Green Bay in the Clark Cup playoffs.

The Buccaneer offense started out slow, with Jim Tudor scoring the first goal 4 minutes into the second period. Veteran Ryan Kirchhoff made it 2-0 at the end of the second to give the Bucs a solid lead. Waterloo had started out strong, but began to fade as the third period began and the Buc defense toughened. The Bucs continued their steady pressure and added two more goals by Doug Meyer and Rene Gauthier to win 4-0.

Tudor (unassisted), Kirchhoff (Flaig, Tudor), Meyer (Tomaino, Klema) and Gauthier (Campbell) scored for the Bucs.

Pre season Game Summaries 2000-2001 Schedule November Game Summaries

Disclaimer
This is a game summary and commentary from a Buccaneer fan's point of view, and the viewpoints expressed in this column DO NOT necessarily reflect those of the Des Moines Buccaneer's organization.